Mobility Updates

COVID-19 and Global Mobility

Since the onset of the global pandemic in 2020, the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs has issued guidance for inbound and outbound international travel policies at IU.

The university is now returning to standard pre-pandemic procedures for employee (faculty and staff) and non-employee (visitor) travel. Student travel will continue to require some additional review and approval.

International Travel Policy

Effective August 1, 2022, the university’s general suspension of university-affiliated international travel will be modified as follows:


  • International travel by faculty and staff no longer requires the IU Employee International Travel Information and Acknowledgment form at the university level.
  • Employees should follow the international travel approval policy of their home department, school or campus. Check with your fiscal officer or department administrator if you are unsure whether your home unit has an approval procedure outside of the Chrome River trip authorization (TA) document.
  • An approved Chrome River trip authorization (TA) report must be in place before making reservations for the trip whether you are using direct bill travel reservations in Egencia or other IU Designated Travel Agency (DTA) or will be requesting reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses associated with the trip. 

All students

  • Consistent with long-standing university policy on student international travel safety, no IU funds may be used to support student travel to countries under U.S. State Department Level 4 “Do Not Travel” Advisories unless the advisory relates solely to COVID-19.
  • International travel by undergraduate students is subject to approval by the Office of Overseas Study.

Graduate students

  • International travel by individual graduate students no longer requires case-by-case COVID mitigation review by the OVPIA exception committee. Instead, individual graduate student travelers are required to submit an international travel form for each university-affiliated international trip.
  • If the grad student travel is being booked through Chrome River, the signed form should be uploaded with the Chrome River pre-approval document for the trip to be authorized.
  • If the travel is being supported through a cash award in SIS or by a third party, the form should be e-mailed directly to OVPIA at prior to travel, as well as filed in the student’s home department records.
  • For a graduate student traveling abroad alone, based on a faculty or staff member’s recommendation or encouragement, no further documentation is needed, even if the student has IU funding to support their travel.
  • Additional approval will be required in cases where a faculty or staff member is traveling with the student, or is substantially involved in establishing or facilitating arrangements (e.g., creating opportunities for research, scheduling musical performances or sports activities or setting up other non-credit travel abroad for students). In such cases, graduate student international travel must first be approved through the Office of Overseas Study short form procedure


  • The university will not restrict incoming non-employee international travel beyond the requirements that apply to all university visitors as set out in IU’s COVID-19 guidance for events and conferences.

This policy does not apply to international travel for personal reasons (please see detailed FAQs below). However, considering the health risks that travel continues to present, we recommend that anyone considering personal international travel consult the CDC's travel guidance

International travel FAQ

Travel is university-affiliated if it is undertaken within the scope of the traveler’s role and responsibilities at IU, regardless of the source of funding for the trip. For faculty, examples include travel to conduct research, teach, or participate in a professional meeting; for graduate students, examples include travel for research or study at a foreign institution.

No. However, international graduate students planning personal travel overseas should review IU Office of International Services travel guidelines, and all graduate students and other travelers with university employment responsibilities should keep their supervisor informed of personal international travel plans, as remote work from overseas is generally not allowed.

No. The policy applies to all international travel undertaken within the scope of the traveler’s role and responsibilities at IU, even it is funded by a third party or by personal funds.

No, the policy applies to all travelers.

All international travelers are advised to follow CDC guidance for returning from travel

Review the U.S. State Department travel advisories on their website . The top of the advisory should have language about “Reconsider travel to XXXX due to XXXXX.” It will typically say COVID-19, or will give other reasons such as civil unrest, crime, potential harassment of U.S. citizens.

No exceptions will be granted.

OVPIA has collaborated with several IU offices to put together a resource page about travel assistance and trip cancellation/interruption insurance options for students, faculty, and staff.

Learn more about trip insurance

Learn more about IU's response

Stay informed with the latest information about Indiana University's response to the global pandemic.