To apply for the grant, you must submit the following materials:
- Cover sheet
- Narrative statement (PDF upload required; 2 pages double-spaced maximum)
- Curriculum vitae (PDF upload required)
- Supporting document from conference sponsor indicating degree of participation (PDF upload required)
- Recommendation letter from department chair, school dean, or other unit head must indicate the amount and source of matching funds. You will need to provide the name and email address of the letter writer. Upon submission of the application, an email will automatically be sent to the letter writer with instructions for accessing our online recommendation form.This form will give them access to your application documents and request the recommendation letter as a PDF upload.
Apply for funding as soon as possible. The conference you are applying for must occur after the deadline. For example, apply by the Jul. 1 or Oct. 1 deadlines for a conference that occurs on Oct. 2. The advantage of the earlier deadline is that applicants will know whether their application for funding has been approved before making travel plans.
If you have not received confirmation that your paper has been accepted in time to meet the OVPIA deadline, we recommend that you submit a conditional application by the deadline. We can either amend your paper acceptance to the submitted application once it is received, or withdraw your application if need be.
Only one application per competition period is permitted. It is your responsibility to ensure that recommendation letters are completed by the application deadline.
The maximum match is $1,500 (i.e., for up to $3,000 in total support). The match amount is higher in the summer due to higher fares.
The maximum amounts for matches for conferences occurring from September 1 to May 14 are:
- $800 for travel to Mexico and Europe
- $1000 for travel to Latin America and the Middle East
- $1200 for travel to Asia, Australia and Africa
Match amounts for conference occurring from May 15 to August 31 are:
- $1000 for travel to Europe
- $1200 to the Middle East
- $1500 for Asia, Australia and Africa
Spring and summer awards are expressly contingent upon the recipient continuing employment at IU the following academic year. Your unit’s funding commitment determines the level of the match.
Matching funds may come from your individual IU research account if your primary area of research or creative activity is in the professional schools, arts, humanities, social sciences, or mathematics. Personal funds may not be used for matches. External (C&G) funds may not be used for matches (accounts beginning with 4x-xxx-xx).
We will use the following criteria when evaluating applications:
- Type of participation in conference as described above
- Value to the candidate and IU: Will participation enhance the candidate’s record of professional achievement?
- Importance of the conference; degree to which it is international in terms of scope and participants
- Overall quality and completeness of statement