Adam Szczepaniak

Adam Szczepaniak

Professor, Physics
Director, Nuclear Theory Center

IUB - College of Arts & Sciences

Faculty profile

In December 2022, Professor Sczcepaniak's global collaboration on exotic hadrons was one of the five teams awarded $11.2M from the U.S. Department of Energy

Scattering Theory

Fall 2020 | PHYS-P 665

In the past two decades we have witnessed a Renaissance in hadron spectroscopy. The discovery of a plethora of exotic resonance candidates, especially in heavy quarkonium systems, sheds new light on strong interaction phenomenology. To properly interpret the new and precise data emerging from hadron experiments and to make connections with the underlying theory of strong interactions, it is necessary to have a good understanding of the reaction mechanisms. This course will review the general old principles of S-matrix theory in relation to the new phenomena in hadron and quark-gluon physics.

Students from IU and University of Bonn will collaborate on research projects related to the experimental analysis and the theoretical interpretation of data collected recently from experiments at CERN in Europe and the Jefferson Lab in the US. The Global Classroom initiative will seed longer term collaborations between students from both sides of the Atlantic.

International partner

University of Bonn

Bonn, Germany

Faculty counterpart

Bernhard Ketzer and Prof. Sebastian Neubert

Professor of Physics

I think it's amazing that the Global Classroom managed to bring together this group of people who would never have met otherwise. I really enjoy spending time with everybody during the meetings, and it is a lot of fun to work on the project. For me, it's still a little surreal that we managed to get so far, the project really showed me that we can achieve great things if we set our mind to it. Also, it is very interesting to get to know the cultural background of everybody in the team.

- IU Student Participant