Types of Collaboration

Exchange programs

Undergraduate, graduate, and faculty exchange programs each have a number of requirements and factors to consider.

Exchange programs for undergraduates should be tuition neutral. IU students pay their regular tuition and mandatory fees to IU. Those costs are waived for incoming exchange students, who pay tuition and fees to their home institution. It is, therefore, imperative that equity in exchange participation be maintained over a three-year period.

Participants from a partner university must apply and be admitted to Indiana University as nondegree students. They must meet all standard admission requirements, including English language proficiency. During their stay at IU, students must maintain full-time enrollment (a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester).

Questions to consider
  • Who is responsible for the administration of the exchange program?
  • Is the partner a peer institution that complements the academic strengths of IU?
  • What is the anticipated demand for the program?
  • Does the partner operate on a similar academic calendar?
  • Does the partner have services and resources to host international students?
  • Does the partner offer a sufficient number of courses in English each semester?
  • Are there foreign language requirements to participate in the program?
  • What specific courses are transferrable?
  • How much will the program cost participants?
  • Is on-campus housing available, or is housing assistance provided?
  • Are there known or potential safety and security issues in the host country or city?
  • What is the process by which students will be selected for the program?
  • What are the admission requirements and processes?
  • What are the minimum academic requirements for program participants (e.g., credit hours per semester)?

Exchange programs for graduate students may be configured for two types of students: nondegree students who maintain full-time enrollment and visiting research scholars.

Nondegree students enrolled full-time in courses

This type of program follows the requirements for undergraduate exchanges. Students must maintain full-time enrollment (full time for graduate students is a minimum of 8 credit hours each semester).

Visiting research scholars

This type of program generally follows the requirements for faculty exchanges. Visiting research scholars may enroll in or audit one or two courses as long as such courses are not the primary purpose of their visit.

Scholars who intend to enroll in courses for credit must apply to the University Graduate School’s continuing nondegree program and must also pay application fees, international services fees, credit hour fees, and mandatory fees. Scholars who intend to audit courses should review the registration instructions for auditing.

Learn more about graduate exchange programs

Academic units at IU may seek approval for faculty exchange programs with current or prospective partners.

Questions to consider
  • Who is responsible for the administration of the exchange program?
  • What is the anticipated demand for the program?
  • What is the length of the exchange program (one month, one semester)?
  • What is the process to nominate a scholar?
  • Is the home institution or the participant responsible for certain expenses (airfare, housing, meals)?
  • Will participants receive any financial support from the host institution?
  • What are participants expected to do during their stay at the host institution?
Learn more about faculty exchange programs

Joint degrees

Joint degrees involve collaboration by an IU academic unit and a partner institution to offer a degree program that neither would have the resources to offer without combining expertise and instruction. These programs usually involve a two-way flow of students and substantial collaboration between faculty members. Upon completion of the degree program, both institutions’ names appear on the diploma.

Learn how to propose a new program

Create an agreement